Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Coney Dog Showdown

Back in town we wanted to get a taste of pure Michigan...Coney Island hot dogs!(Matt was back in the game for this trip downtown.) There are two family owned restaurants that are next to each other and they each think that they came up with the idea for the Coney Dog. They have been on a show called Food Wars, which ironically was on the day after we had our own "food war".



First up, Lafayette Coney Island. This place has a fast pace and is a little like "Soup Nazi" feeling. The guy hollers out the order and threw the drinks on the table along with the food.




These hot dogs had great flavor and the chili was mighty tasty!



Up next: American Coney Island



This one had the diner feel to it and was much calmer! Quite tasty also.




I don't know why we didn't take any pictures of the actual food we ate, but we had a clear winner in our taste test. Lafayette 3 to 1 American. The major difference for us was the chili on top. (On Food Wars, American won.)



Bonus: Some sights of Detroit.




Thanks Dad and Mom for a fun visit!

4 comments:

Tami said...

That was so fun to do that food war ... Great pics!

Brian and Ginger said...

Yummy!! That would be fun!

Anonymous said...

Amber...I don't know if I have a good email address for you anymore! I just want you to know I'm thinking of and praying for you and your family today! Love you so much, so sad =( I hope I can see you even to give you a hug if/when you come down. I talked to your mom at church today and I have connections for Southwest flights I can probably get you round trips much cheaper, let me know if you are coming and I can see what flights are available. Also, please send me an email with your email address jen@photojenic.net

Love you girl!! Miss you!! Prayers of peace for your breaking heart =(

Kim said...

This is Kim Nielsen (Dave's wife). Sooo good to see your faces!! I just got your blog info from Chris and Kim last night. We are in SL for a short visit and were able to spend a little time with them and Tim and Jamie....Sure wish you guys would have been here, we miss the old gang. :( It looks like you guys are doing well and having a great time exploring the area you live in. We are doing good we live in Henderson, NV now and I think we will be here for awhile. Dave doesn't work for Harbor Freight anymore he quit a almost a year ago and now works for Big Lots. He doesn't travel anymore and that is great, but I'm still trying to get used to him being around all the time. He has traveled for most of our marriage and having him home is great! Email me with all your info I don't seem to have any of it anymore. Keep in touch, Kim

nielsendavid9@hotmail.com

625 Doubleshot Lane
Henderson, NV 89052
702-776-7395